What is Treclin?
Treclin contains tretinoin and an antibiotic known as Clindamycin. It limits the growth of bacteria associated with acne and the inflammation caused by these bacteria. Tretinoin normalizes the growth of superficial skin cells and causes normal shedding of the cells that clog the hair follicles in areas with acne. This prevents the build-up of sebum and the formation of early acne lesions (blackheads and whiteheads).
Treclin Gel is used to treat acne (spots) in young people who are going through or have gone through puberty, and in adults. Treclin helps to:
- loosen blackheads and whiteheads so that they come out more easily
- stop new blackheads, whiteheads and spots from forming
- lower the number of red, swollen acne spots.
What is Tretinoin?
Tretinoin is a vitamin A derivative that belongs to a class of medicines known as retinoids. Tretinoin was patented in 1957 and approved for medical use in 1962. It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the most important medications needed in a basic health system. Tretinoin is an effective treatment for acne and has also been licensed for the treatment of fine wrinkles from sun-aged skin. It works to treat acne by helping the skin so that blocked pores are less likely. This helps to prevent spots.
What is the difference between Treclin and Retin-A?
Retin-A is a brand name version of a tretinoin gel manufactured by Janssen. This product is no longer available in Europe. Treclin contains the same active ingredient Tretinoin as well as the antibiotic Clindamycin.
How to Use Treclin Gel
- Wash your hands.
- Completely remove any make-up.
- Wash the area with a mild soap and warm water, and dry gently.
- Put a thin layer of gel on the affected skin, using your fingertips, and smooth in.
- Apply to all of the area of your skin which has acne, not just each spot.
- Wash your hands after using the gel.
These effects can occur on the area of skin where you use the gel. If they cause you a problem, try using Isotrex less often, or stop using it for a few days until the irritation goes away, then start again. Stop using Isotrex if the irritation does not go away:
- redness or peeling of your skin, especially during the first few weeks of use
- slight stinging or skin pain
- skin irritation or tenderness
- skin burning sensation
- dry skin